Canadians can obtain a credit report at no charge from TransUnion. How do I get my credit report for free? In Canada there in 2 ways:
- By Mail/fax
- By Phone
Free Canadian Credit Reports and History – by mail or fax
- Download and complete the free Canadian credit bureau request form. For Quebec residents download this form.
- photocopy and attach 2 pieces of ID (1 needs to show your address)
- Write your Social Insurance Number (SIN) on the form- this is optional, but will help the credit reporting agency in Canada verify your information
Once you have completed the steps above, you can fax the request to 05 527-0401 or send a mail to:
Consumer Relations Centre
P.O. Box 338, LCD 1
For Quebec Residents only. Mail your completed form to:
TransUnion (Echo Group)
1600 Henri Bourassa Boul Ouest
Free Canadian Credit Reports and History – by phone
Give TransUnion Canada at one of the following numbers. Be prepared to answer questions about your credit, credit card and loan information. The credit bureau will use this information to verify your identity.
1-877-713-3393 (Quebec Only)
Acceptable primary identification
One piece of valid, non-expired Canadian Government issued identification must accompany the form. Examples include:
- Drivers license
- Canadian Passport
- Certificate of Indian Status
- Birth Certificate
- Permanent Resident card
- Citizenship and Immigration form
- Health card
- Old Age Security card
- Department of National Defence card
- Provincial photo ID
Additional pieces of acceptable identification
- Utility bill indicating current address
- Credit card statement indicating current address
- Signed credit card (both sides)
- CNIB card
- Social Insurance card
- T4 slip (current tax year)
- Notice of Assessments (current tax year)
- GST/HST Refunds (current tax year)
- Child Tax Benefits (current tax year)
Together these combined pieces must contain your name, current address, date of birth and signature.
Other useful information
- Credit report requests can take 5-10 days to process
- TransUnion also requires both sides of the ID be photocopied.
- There are 2 credit bureaus in Canada. It is recommended that you request a report from Equifax Canada as well at no additional charge.
Online Credit Report and Score
If you are not interested in waiting for the snail mail (1-2 weeks). You can access your credit report and credit score information instantly online by paying $14.95 Canadian, for a comprehensive online credit profile. Simply fill out the Canadian TransUnion Credit Monitoring Unlimited Order Form and gain instant access to your report which you can print out for your files.