One of the frequently asked questions for us is “how do I get my free credit report?” Canadians can obtain a credit report at no charge from Equifax Canada in 2 ways:
- By Mail
- By Phone
Free Canadian Credit Reports and History – by mail or fax
- Download and complete the free credit report request form
- photocopy 2 pieces of ID (1 needs to show your address)
- Photocopy your Social Insurance Number (SIN) – this is optional, but will help the credit bureau verify your information
- Do not fill in the credit card information tab unless you would like to know your credit score
Once you have completed the steps above, you can fax the request to 514-355-8502 or mail to:
Equifax National Consumer Relations
P.O. Box 190, Station Jean-Talon
Free Canadian Credit Reports and History – by phone
Give Equifax Canada at call toll-free number at 1-800-465-7166. Be prepared to answer questions about your credit, credit card and loan information. Equifax Canada will use this information to verify your identity.
Other useful information
- Credit report requests can take 5-10 days to process
- There are 2 credit bureaus in Canada. It is recommended that you request a report from TransUnion Canada as well, at no additional charge.
Alternatively, instead of waiting 1-2 weeks for the free version (which does not include a credit score summary), Canadians have the option to obtain their credit score and history information today. TransUnion Canada has an speedy online credit report which you can get by completing the official TransUnion Credit Monitoring Order Form – Note: The online credit report will cost $14.95 Canadian.